On 12/11/18 9:31 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
Has anyone been able to get bluetooth working on the Odroid Xu4? I've
got it working with Fedora 29 on an Intel based PC using two different
USB dongles but not on the XU4.  So, I am curious if anyone has tried on
the XU4 and if successful, what dongles and packages are you using?
Is that via a USB bluetooth dongle or an onboard bluetooth/Wifi combo
chip on the device.
USB bluetooth dongles.
You could test it in the x86 box and see if using that BT dongle you
get sound over it or not

BTW, on the XU4, I am able to pair and connect to my Yamaha Musiccast
speaker. The problem occurs when I try to test the speakers using the
bluetooth Mate sound menu.  Once I click on either the right or left
test button for the speaker, no sound is audible and the bluetooth
connection immediately gets dropped. Again, all of this works on the
Intel PC and I have verified I have the same bluetooth packages
installed on both systems.
As mentioned on the last sentence of my original post and the paragraph above, both of my USB dongles work on the Intel PC.  This is how I verified the dongles work and they appear to work with Fedora 29.

So bluetooth is a bit of a complex beast. There's lots of standards
and sub standards. The bluetooth audio standard on top of the other
bits is quite specific and complex. The onboard bluetooth chips have
an actual digital PCM/I²S audio input which has a board routing over
to the audio codec/card on the device and needs routing/support with
in the drivers and generally even the device tree to actually work.
Some of the cheap Arm devices don't even route the audio, an example
of a device that does, but doesn't currently have driver/device tree
support is the PandaBoard, but you can see on page 37 of the schematic
[1] how the audio connects through from the BT to audio codec.

The intel PC you mention probably has an Intel mPCIe/m.2 interface and
those interfaces have PCM/I²C [2] audio on the connector to route the
audio to the bluetooth interface, see Key ID [2] for PCM links there.

Often in the case of USB dongles they don't support the bluetooth
audio sub standard, I don't think I've ever had one that supports it
but I believe the more expensive ones do.

Peter

[1] https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~simon/378/resources/PandaBoardES.pdf
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying