I really appreciate the responses from Stephan and Paul.  You were both
correct.  The CPU frequency is a problem and no, I did not have the UART
enabled via config.txt.  Removing the comment from that line was the simple
solution.

I am fairly new to the arm based SBCs and still learning so I apologize for
posting the question when the solution is in the online documentation.  My
excuse is that I was confused.  Early on, I did not want the console on
/dev/ttyS1 and in fact, I had no need of the UART at all.  Yet even when I left
the enable_uart = 1 line commented out of config.txt, /dev/ttyS1 was still
created.  So I assumed maybe the u-boot stuff had changed, the documentation
was out of date, and enable_uart line had no effect at all.  Clearly, I was
wrong.

Thanks again for taking to time to reply!
Will