Hello,

Le 11/10/2022 à 01:48, Joel Carnat a écrit :
Le 10/10/2022 à 14:44, Mark Kettenis a écrit :
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:14:49 +0200
From: Joel Carnat <j...@carnat.net>

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:54:51 +0200
From: Joel Carnat <j...@carnat.net>

Hello,

As it was referenced on the arm64 web page, I bought a Hardkernel
ODROID-HC4 to run OpenBSD. The thing is, I can't boot the OpenBSD
installer at all.

I have successfully ran an armbian instance from the microSD card so I
expect the hardware to be fully functional.

I have tried using install71.img and install72.img on a microSD card but
couldn't boot from it. The hardware comes with Petitboot, not with
U-boot. I'm not sure whether this matters or not.

Can someone who uses it explain with a bit of details how to install/run
OpenBSD on this particular hardware?

You'll need u-boot for this machine:

https://sibelius.home.xs4all.nl/firmware/odroid-hc4/u-boot.bin.sd.bin

Write that to an (empty) uSD-card and insert it into the uSD-card slot
on the board.  Press the boot switch on the bottom of the board while
powering it on and it should boot.  If you want to avoid having to
press the boot switch, you'll have to erase the SPI flash storage on
the board.  This can be done from u-boot, but I forgot the exact
commands.

Thank you.

After dd your image on the µSD card, I have tried booting it using the
bottom button but nothing happened and it went back to Petitboot prompt.
So I used the Petitboot commands to erase the SPI. Then tried to boot
again. But I just don't get any output.

I'm using an HDMI screen if that matters. I didn't disassemble the
hardware to plug a serial console on it. Is U-boot limited to serial
console access?

Possibly; I never tried to use the HDMI output on my machine.

Would it be possible to prepare an OpenBSD installation on the µSD card
using Qemu, for example, and boot the system this way?

Yes that is possible.  You first dd minirootXX.img (or installXX.img)
to the uSD card.  Then you add the firmware by doing:

dd if=u-boot.bin.sd.bin of=/dev/sdNc bs=512 skip=1 seek=1
dd if=u-boot.bin.sd.bin of=/dev/sdNc bs=1 count=444

That should result in an uSD card that boots into the OpenBSD
installer.  You should be able to install onto that same uSD card, but
you might need to repeat the dd commands above afterwards to make the
uSD card bootable again.

Yep, that boots ! And I can get access to the installer via HDMI.

I still have issues installing on top of the µSD card while booting on it. The installer stops when creating the filesystems. But I could insert insert an USB key so I'll try to install and run from it.

So I could finally manage to install and run OpenBSD (7.2 now) from a SATA disk. Many thanks for your time & help Mark.

I still can't manage to install OpenBSD on the µSD-card. Whether I boot the installer from the µSD-card itself or from the installed SATA drive, I keep getting errors when formatting the µSD-card. I have tried both a Philips 32GB and SanDisk 128GB.

First error is when I select "whole" disk. I get:
Creating a msdos partition and an OpenBSD partition for rest of sd0... newfs_msdos: /dev/r000000000000.i: No such file or directory
done.

Then when I select the Auto layout, I get:
newfs: rdfs: read error on block 16: Input/output error.

I don't get more success if I drop to the shell before install and issue "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV sd0; dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c count=128". Then proceed to the installation with "whole" and "auto layout".

I can provide a video extract of the process if needed.

Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks,
Joel C.