Fabio,
    I just realized that I don't know what the typical rent-to-own contract looks
like. Presumably the original owner retains title, but what if there is a dispute over
the maintenance of the property during the rental period? What does the contract
specify and how are disputes resolved? What protects owners from tenants who do not
take good care of their property and then exercise their option not to buy it and what
protects renters from owners evicting them and stealing their equity stake?  — Bill
Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 797-6113
FAX:     (202) 797-6181
E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AOL IM: wtdickens

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/20/01 12:48PM >>>

Why does Rent to Own exist? Isn't rent to own just a way of
lending money to the customer (like many auto firms)?

One friend said it was a way of selling to people whose religion
precludes the paying or charging of interest.

Any comments?

Fabio