My (non-economist) take on this:

  The federal government has an obligation to step in where the
assumptions of a free market fall short in practice.  I think a free
market model assumes that goods can be transported fairly easily.
Additionally, air travel benefits information exchange (Fedex,
business travel, etc.), which is needed for a simple free market
model.  Therefore, I believe it is a legitimate function of the
federal government to ensure that the airlines remain viable.  I'm
not so sure about travel agents and others, though.

John

ps - I was wondering, regarding airline travel, did the demand fall
or did the cost increase?  If someone usually travels on a short
commuter flight from, say, Portland to Santa Clara (about 1.5 hours)
for face to face business dealings, that person may think that the
benefit of face to face v. teleconferencing or email is worth the
inconvenience of air travel, though barely.  If an additional factor
of fear or uneasiness is added to the cost of travel, the cost is
greater than the benefit and, in an aggregate sense, the quantity of
airline travel demanded decreases.   Is this correct economic
thinking?

--
John A. Viator, Ph.D.
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic