These are two separate things.  We can imagine the public good of "a
functional Africa" that will suffer from the traditional public goods
problems.  But, I don't think that you can say the same for the plethora
of "save the children" type charities that assure you that a child's life
will be saved for your $20/mth.  The benefits from that are largely
internalized -- the donor gets to feel better about himself for having
saved the life, etc.  The contribution to any public good is next to nil
-- the continent remains disfunctional and there is still rampant
starvation and war.  But, the donor has personally made one person better
off who wouldn't likely have been made better off absent the
contribution.  Don't think we can invoke public goods here.

Eric