In an earlier message, William Sjostrom suggested that Levitt's research
is typical of the economics field. I am very curious about this statement,
because it is at odds with my casual empiricism, and I would like to see
it backed by some concrete evidence. Perhaps this reflects my own
ignorance of the literature, but I would like to know who
does such clever, but careful empirical work. If this is true, I'd like
to read it. Are there people out there that collect interesting data to
approach previously intractable questions from a new direction?

The best example of this that I can think of is a working paper that
estimated the scope of corruption in Indonesia by looking at how the stock
prices of companies that has close links to the Suharto government reacted
to news about his health. I can't seem to find this paper to provide you
with a citation.

Dimitriy V. Masterov

Dimitriy V. Masterov

Center for Social Program Evaluation