> - people spend an inordinate time satisfying extreme voters, even after
> winning a party nomination

 They're trying to put together a winning coalition by targeting a variety
of market segments.  You don't see General Motors or Altria/Philip Morris
targeting just the "median car buyer" or "median cigarette smoker."

~Alypius

PS--Fabio, this reply may not appear on the list.  I think Bryan has been
diverting my posts to some cyberfile 13.  The last half dozen or so times I
attempted to post, nothing ever appeared on the list, so I've pretty much
given up trying.  But I can still read everyone else's messages, so you can
reply to me on the list if you wish to.