You're on to something here.  The press has a bias toward "official" sources
in general, both government and corporate.  A huge part of a newspaper's
non-advertising column inches are taken up either by press releases
generated in PR departments, or by direct quotes from press conferences.
Here's a couple of relevant quotes on the nonsensical nature of the "both
sides" model of objectivity:

"The norms of 'objective reporting' thus involve presenting 'both sides' of
an issue with very little in the way of independent forms of verification...
 [A] journalist who systematically attempts to verify facts--to say which
set of facts is more accurate--runs the risk of being acused of abandoning
their objectivity by favoring one side over another....

    "....[J]ournalists who try to be faithful to an objective model of
reporting are simultaneously distancing themselves from the notion of
independently verifiable truth....

    "The 'two sides' model of journalistic objectivity makes news reporting
a great deal easier since it requires no recourse to a factual realm.  There
are no facts to check, no archives of unspoken information to sort
through....  If Tweedledum fails to challenge a point made by Tweedledee,
the point remains unchallenged."

From Justin Lewis, "Objectivity and the Limits of Press Freedom" Project
Censored Yearbook 2000. pp. 173-74

"...I find myself increasingly covering Washington's most ignored beat:  the
written word.  The culture of deceit is primarily an oral one.  The
soundbite, the spin, and the political product placement depend on no one
spending too much time on the matter under consideration.

    "Over and over again, however, I find that the real story still lies
barely hidden and may be reached by nothing more complicated than turning
the page, checking the small type in the appendix, charging into the
typographical jungle beyond the executive summary, doing a Web search, and,
for the bravest, actually looking at the figures on the charts."

From Sam Smith. Project Censored Yearbook 2000. p. 60

I also recall a quote from David Halberstam in which he said that
objectivity, as professional journalists understood it, was adopting a pose
of naivete and gullibility toward official pronouncements.  What he meant, I
think, is similar to Lewis' point.