In a message dated 12/3/03 1:53:31 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>> This is completely wrong. The CPI-u is, and the CPI-x was, adjusted
>for
>>> quality changes (see http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm ). The CPI-X
>>> doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>So what price statistic wasn't adjusted for quality changes?
>
>They all are. No one (who knew what he was talking about) has ever
>claimed that they are not adjusted. The common claim is that the
>adjustments (which are quite complex and differ across different types
>of goods) are inadequate. - - Bill

In fairness I was just summarizing the arguments of Professor Richard B.
MacKenzie at U of Cal Irvine, published back in 1994.  If his arguments have been
superseded, I stand corrected.  There's not need for ad hominem attacks,
generally a sign that the target has challenged one of the attacker's shibboleths.
;-)