I think that many people exhibit at least thin rationality while
arguably not being meta-rational. I'm not sure we can call them all
insane, and I wonder if a line can really be drawn, where it's clear
that someone really wishes that they had different wishes.  Hating
one's preferences sounds a lot like wishing that one's preferences were
less costly.  I have a lot of costly preferences, and many are so
costly that I don't pursue them.  But some I pursue anyway, because the
benefit is, in my estimation, higher than the cost.