From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 7:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Reagan's legacy over stated

First is a letter I wrote to the Wall Street Journal followed by a letter I
wrote to my local paper. I like de-regulation, tax cuts and small
government, but I think Reagan's legacy is over stated.
Cyril Morong
I was surprised to see Milton Friedman give so much credit to Ronald Reagan
("Freedom's Friend," page A8, June 11, 2004). Maybe a recession was
necessary to get rid of inflation, but three years after the recession was
over in 1986 the unemployment rate was 7.0%, still above the 6.65% average
from 1978-81 (I use that four year period on the assumption that Carter's
policies did not take effect until one year after he came to office). And
Carter was the one who appointed Volcker. If Reagan's policies took time to
take effect as well, the results are not impressive. The average
unemployment rate from 1984-1989 was 6.45%. The average from 1965 (when the
Great Society programs began) to 1981 was 5.65%. From 1982-89 the average
unemployment rate was 7.25%. From 1974-1981, the previous eight years, it
was 6.94%. Things are similar for the average real GDP growth rate. In the
1960's it was about 4.1%. From 1983-89, it was 3.66%. So Reagan's economy
was not unusual by historical sta!
 ndards. The 1970's averaged 2.93%, not too far below what Reagan had yet
the economy struggled under high oil prices then.  Now Reagan eliminated oil
price regulation, which certainly helped, but Jimmy Carter wanted to do so
as well. The real GDP also grew about 4% a year from 1976-79 before the
second oil crisis hit (and 3.55% a year from 1970-73 before the first
crisis). Carter instituted other deregulation as well. It is true that
non-defense spending was slowed by Reagan. But defense spending is still
government spending and this spending may have been what ended the recession
(or at least helped along with tax cuts). Federal non-defense spending was
about 2.4% of the GDP in 1975. It was the same in 1980. So that trend was in
place before Reagan. We can even see this in Friedman's graph. It seems that
many people, including Milton Friedman, are over stating Reagan's impact and
the uniqueness of his policies. **************
Don't over estimate Reagan's impact. What happened while he was president?
The Soviet Union collapsed and the economy improved. Does he get all the
credit? The Soviet Union's decline may have been due to its poorly run,
centrally planned economy. Economists Ludwig von Mises and F.A. Hayek (a
Nobel Prize winner) had already pointed out the pitfalls of that system. The
inefficiency of the Soviet System is why Gorbachev started Perestroika or
restructuring. The economy improved partly due to getting inflation under
control. The credit for that may go to Paul Volcker, chair of the Federal
Reserve Board who was appointed by Jimmy Carter. The increase in government
spending (mainly defense) that Reagan brought in may have helped. But
increasing government spending was not an original idea with Reagan. Yes, he
cut taxes and instituted some de-regulation, which probably helped. But
president Kennedy cut taxes and a tax cut sentiment was around before Reagan
got elected, with Proposi!
 tion 13 in California (to cut property taxes) being an example. Jimmy
Carter was president when airline de-regulation began. So Reagan's policies
were not unique. Now some want to put Reagan's picture on the ten-dollar
bill. Will we forget the legacy of Alexander Hamilton, our first secretary
of the treasury then? Hamilton rose from humble beginnings, studied finance
and economics intensely, served directly under Washington during the
revolutionary war and was a powerful influence on the early U. S. economy.
Does Reagan's legacy really match that? It would be tragic if we had to
forget Hamilton so we can remember Reagan. To do so would show an inability
to think both critically and historically. I think the great historian
Sidney Hook would consider Reagan an eventful man not an event making man.
It is more the case that Reagan was in the right place at the right time
than it was that he made things right.