Recently, I have been thinking about sprawl and the economic forces involved. Where I
live in North Texas, most voters are fairly conservative and when ranch land gets
converted to more urban uses (residential and retail), local governments rarely set
aside any land for public parks. As homebuyers are expressing a preference for parks,
walking trails, etc, large builders respond with sprawl/enclave developments with
parks that are only really accessible by people who live there. At the same time, none
of my friends would ever want to live in one of these enclaves. I was just wondering
if, perhaps, among the other more common reasons, if a lack of public parks might be
one more contributing factor to typical modern development.

And, no I wouldn't expect a private firm to produce a non-excludable park. I do think
that a lot of times, economists are hostile the the idea of a public good like a park
if there is some way to make the good excludable (fenced parks in London, country
clubs, etc.). In doing that, I think we underestimate the public good of "community."
We live near a public park that is used by a couple of hundred people every weekend. I
may be wrong, but I think this communal sharing by everyone in town generates some
external benefit (perhaps, less littering and crime, better neighborly relations,
etc.) that is hard to quantify.

-Jeff

>>> Stephen Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/30/04 11:09AM >>>
Your question seems to be whether a pure commons can make money and the
answer is no. There has to be some way of either taking advantage of
high costs for free riders (not worth a trip to a suburb you don't live
in) or there's some excludability (botanical garden with entrance fee,
greens fee on a golf course, etc.).

You ask if sprawl is the only option; it is not. You can build a park
and charge people to use it, excluding non-payers. If your definition
of a park is that there's no exclusion, then why would you expect
anyone to voluntarily build one in a densely populated area?