I find it difficult to evaluate the causal education and growth link, for a
number of reasons.  Around the world, educational systems produce different
types of "value-added" which may or may not be very productivity-enhancing in
the context of their specific country.  Also, empirically, I am skeptical that
any cross-country growth regressions have very much to say about a "causal link".

However, there must be something to the argument (and evidence) that education
causes higher wages, and thus higher productivity.  The labor literature on this
causal connection is enormous, though it is generally in the context of
relatively wealthy countries.  Still, some work exists for developing countries
-- for example Esther Duflo has some nice papers on the effect of education on
wages in Indonesia (about 8% per year, she says, which is similar to the US).   Paul