In other words, what you're suggesting is that for some, lotteries and
voting are like candy, pornography, birth control, or narcotics, i.e., a
legitimate way (in some cultures) for a person to deliberately subvert his
own genetic programming and obtain pleasure that he doesn't "deserve".

Ok, I can buy that, but I still think there must be a large fraction
of lottery players and voters who don't know, even intellectually, that
their chances of winning or changing the election outcome are tiny. But it
doesn't look like enough data exist to settle the matter either way.