> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 02:13:23AM -0400, Robert A. Book wrote:
> > I think what you want is the Banzhaf Power Index, developed by Banzhaf
> > (surprise!) in the 1960s.  I forwarded your post to a friend of mine
> > who's done some work on this, and discovered he's giving a talk on
> > this very topic on Friday at the GWU math department.
> >
> > His summary, with a link to a more detailed web page, is below.
>
> I read his web page quickly, but did not find it particularly relevant.
> The Banzhaf Power Index is apparently about figuring out how much power
> each voter has in a block voting system, where everyone is not equal in
> the sense that your vote has a different probability of influencing the
> election depending on where you live. But he starts off by assuming that
> every voter has an independent .5 probability of voting for each
> candidate. That makes the analysis useless for the purpose of computing
> the expected utility of voting, because it ignores all of the relevant
> information that we actually have about the likely outcome of the
> election, such as the IEM market data.

Funny you should mention that -- I thought of the same thing after I
posted Mark's message to the list, and I think I have a solution.

The Banzhaf model could be tweaked to take this into account by
weighting each coalition by (p^i)*((1-p)^(n-i) where p is the
probability of a given voter being for candidate #1, n being the
number of voters, and i being the number voting for candidate #1 in
the particular coalition.  This is the binonmal distribution with
parameters (n,p), which for large n (and p not too close to 0 or 1)
(or more precisely, when np(1-p)>5) can be approximated very well by a
normal distribution with mean np and variance np(1-p).

The result should be that the power of an individual vote should drop
as p gets farther from 0.5, in either direction.  That is, an
individual vote in Nevada is more likely to be decisive than one in
Utah even though both have 5 electoral votes -- because in Utah Bush
is ahead by 37 points (in some poll anyway) and in Nevada Kerry is
ahead by 1 point (again, in some poll).  So a vote in Utah will not be
decisive at all, but a vote in Nevada might be.

I would suspect that a vote in Florida (25 electoral votes, 1 point
difference) is more powerful than a vote in California (55 electoral
votes, Kerry leading by 8 points).

I think that in real elections, a model that takes current polls into
account would be more useful -- it would tell candidates where to
campaign.  They should campaign where the poll-adjusted Banzhaf index
is higher.  Who knows, maybe they have figured this out already....

--Robert