Lest we forget: The road to hell is paved with good intentions

I am uncomfortable with and in fact disagree with much of Thaler's arguments
in his article "Libertarian Paternalism".  However, I will try to limit my
response to your question.

It seems, to paraphrase, you are asking if it is moral to manipulate human
foibles to achieve a given end because you know what is best.  I would argue
that it is immoral to manipulate or attempt to manipulate people to do what
the planner thinks is best for them.  In the situations listed, there may
not be  a practical alternative to providing a menu that is chosen by the
planner.  As James Wells points out, it is a question of whether or not
there is a morally superior way of listing the options, I would argue there
is, simply do not try to covertly manipulate the choices.  If the planner
believes there is a best choice, list it first with the disclaimer that
based on the information available this may be, in the planner's opinion,
the best choice for most people but that individuals should decide for
themselves.  While there may still be a minor element of manipulation it is
overt and the responsibility is now back on the individual, its correct
place.

A larger question for Thaler is where did he find all those omniscient
planners who, unlike individuals, have complete information, unlimited
cognitive abilities and absolute willpower.  Are not planners actually
individuals who suffer from the same foibles we all have?  Thaler is correct
in that there are situations in which choices must be made, a menu selected,
however the alternative to paternalism is providing complete information and
the option chose none of the above or not placing individuals in a position
were they are forced make a decision.  That is, I would argue it is wrong to
automatically enroll people, as Thaler argues, in a 401(k) plan in which the
employee is forced to contribute or opt out.

Thaler is arguable wrong when he states, " the presumption that an
individual's choice should be free from interference is usually based on the
assumption that people do a good job of making choices, or at least that
they do a far better job than third parties could do."  I argue Individuals
should be free from interference in making choices because they have the
right and responsibility to do so as well as enjoy/suffer the consequences
of their good/bad decisions.  I think you will find few planners willing to
take full responsibilities for their incorrect choices, particularly in the
401(k) arena.  That is not to say that some individuals do not try to avoid
their responsibilities.  The point is the rights and responsibilities belong
to the individual, that some individuals make bad decisions by itself does
not justify paternalism of any kind.

In closing Thaler is probably right that a certain amount of paternalism is
unavoidable, but we should not justify it rather we should strive minimize
it and to provide individuals with better information and critical
thinking/decision making skills.  I generally dislike slippery slope
arguments, but does not paternalism foster more paternalism?  My concern and
fear is that once we accept the proposition that planners know best we soon
will find more and more situations in which it is "ethical and moral".  Do
we want to foster a society that always takes the default position, is the
ultimate freedom not having to make any choices?  I certainly hope not!