> > I'm just wondering if it is even
> >possible for the supply and demand curves to be shaped shaped in such
> >way that the Laffer curve does not apply to some market.
>
> Since you asked...

[snip]

> ... Typical estimates of b are .1 with very high estimates
> for aggregate labor supply coming in around .2. Being generous (a=1.5,
> b=.2) that would give a revenue maximizing tax rate of .94.

[snip]

Without understanding the parts I snipped (the whole argument, in other
words, heh), I would like to point out that if *my* tax rate was .94, I
would need no more incentive to derive 100% of my income from the
underground economy. Risking jail is easily worth a reduction in the tax
rate from 94% to 0%. I think I understand the insignificance of my
personal actions, and their paltry effects on the economy at large, but
doesn't it seem unreasonable to expect much tax revenue from a tax rate
of 94%? Or is this just one of those counter-intuitive economic
conclusions?

Throw me a bone here. ;-)

Cheers,
Michael Giesbrecht