I must gleefully report that I am one of the winners of the 2005 Thomas
S. Szasz Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Cause of Civil
Liberties, largely for my article "The Economics of Szasz: Preferences,
Constraints, and Mental Illness." The other prize-winner is
individualist feminist Joan Kennedy Taylor.

There will be an award ceremony at the Cato Institute on September 21,
6:00-7:30 P.M. The event is open to the public, and a lot of my friends
will be coming - probably including some of your favorite bloggers. If
you live in the D.C. area, it would be great chance to meet in person.

Hope to see you there!
--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

   "[M]uch of the advice from the parenting experts is flapdoodle.
    But surely the advice is grounded in research on children's
    development?  Yes, from the many useless studies that show
    a correlation between the behavior of parents and the
    behavior of their biological children and conclude that
    parenting shapes the child, as if there were no such thing as
    heredity."
                --Steven Pinker, *The Blank Slate*