Interesting result but, at the risk of "over thinking" the report given we
don't have the details, a few questions arise.  Was he riding the same time
every day such that similar if not mostly the same drivers passed him or was
this one long ride, was he able to maintain the same distance from the curb
or lane divider for each ride, few riders can, at least within a narrow
range.  What type of street and what is the frequency of bicycle riders on
the street. What was the mix of cars vs. trucks.   While safety of rider may
be an issue, it
is likely more involved, i.e. competition for the road, why is he in "my"
lane, he is slowing
me down, he is not following the traffic rules, bikes should be on the
sidewalk, damn
hippie anyway, etc.

 As someone who has ridden both motorcycles and bicycles in
 traffic, I would question the results, the  median distance and range might
be
more revealing.That not a small number of drivers would try to get as close
 me as they could always amazed me, this was more of a problem riding in
So. California than in more bike friendly Seattle.  It also mattered if
bicycles
were common on the route.  I think there are too many other variables,
without seeing the study,
to place the variation solely on the helmet.   Female vs. Male might make a
more interesting if
not valid study.