I submitted an article to a foreign journal. This is something they requested, which, of course, I am not going to send them.

"Dear Professor Cyril Morong: thank you very much for your prompt response. We need your birth date in order to complete your personal data in our registers. Also, the ID number (Identification number, it could be from your passport, social security number...etc.).

Our journal is periodically evaluated by internacional indexes, which ask for these information in order to recognize the authors and referees. Some times they check our information with other economic data bases and the personal information helps to identify and clasify the data base."

My guess is that none of you have ever been asked for something like this before.

Cyril Morong