Having just returned from *The Patriot* reminds me of a question I'd
like answered:

What does the ratio of taxation to GDP look like pre- and post- American
Revolution?  Spending:GDP?  My sense is there was no change, or it
actually rose (the British were subsidizing U.S. defense).  Anyone know
the data?
--
            Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "What a lot of trouble to prove in political economy that two and
   two make four; and if you succeed in doing so, people cry, 'It is
   so clear that it is boring.'  Then they vote as if you had never
   proved anything at all."
          --Frederic Bastiat, "What Is Seen and What is Not Seen"