Laugh all you want - Maryland comptroller (and former Governor) William
Schaefer is trying to track down "use tax dodgers" in MD.  This is a notable
"problem" in Maryland, since we're remarkably close to Delaware--which has
no sales tax.  Since I alternate back and forth between Boston and
Baltimore, and since the Maryland government is an incompetent shibboleth,
I'm not too worried about being hounded for receipts - but you never know.

Yesterday's absurdity is tomorrow's policy - as always.

(By the way, has anyone read or heard any attempts to justify the "use tax"
by government financiers?  Is anyone capable of saying with a straight face,
"Purchases made outside of a given state should benefit that state's tax
coffers"?)

-JP