"fabio guillermo rojas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" wrote:

> Question: Why not increase teacher salaries?
>
> Answer: They can't. Gov't budgets for teachers for are maxed out,
> funds for housing are earmarked for housing, not salaries (bogus answer).

Salaries are taxed, while "perks" are not?  I'm guessing here,
because I have never had a job with enough perks (or salary) to
concern myself about such things.

I do know, however, that in countries with burdensome tax rates in
high brackets ( > 50% !), employees who would normally fall in those
brackets are instead paid with all manner of "perks" and
"allowances," some of which border on the ridiculous.  I have heard
of jewelry and evening gown allowances, perennial luxury car leases,
and at the extreme prostitutes on retainer.

I am sure private schools face the same situtation.

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"