During the recent Spring membership drives by all of the National Public Radio
stations in the tri-state NYC metropolitan area, I ignored all of their pleas for
cash.  I even developed two or three rationalizations as to why I ought not
contribute.   My behavior provided additional anecdotal evidence that despite our
generally higher incomes, economists are among the least generous of our populace in
terms of their median gifts to charities.

Has there been any recent (i.e. since 1998) work done on the contention that the study
of economics inhibits cooperation?  The last work Iíve seen in this area was the April
1998 Frank-Schulze study that showed economists tend to pursue their own interests
more than other people.  In fact, the study suggests that the dominance of
self-interest regarding economists versus non-economists was stronger for men than for
women. Male non-economists were the least corrupt of all, male economists the most
(corruption being defined as the receipt of compensation for favoritism).  Works
quoted in this 1998 study included the Yezer (1996) study and the core study by Frank,
Gilovich, and Regan from 1993.

Not that Iím losing any sleep over my NPR free-ridership, but any recent studies on
economist behavior could help me conjure up some more juicy rationalizations.

Many thanks.

New York, NY