It seems the "retail" price would serve a function.
It seems to me that the "retail" price of any
particular diamond would be standardized accross
diamond sellers and a central tendency of how much
a seller discounts from that price would allow for
easier comparison of diamond retailers than the
prices of individual diamonds, which vary in several
quality measures that affect their price and are
each like no other diamond.

Pat McCann
GMU Undergrad