It strikes me the recent wild success of "reality-based" television programs
like Survivor, Big Brother, and 1900 House can largely be attributed to the
fact that these, along with sports and news programs, constitute just about
the only original content on the major networks during their summer hiatus.
Which causes me to wonder how it is that the tradition of  "summer reruns"
has managed to last so long. Why have the networks apparently been averse to
breaking  the tradition and producing more original content in the summer to
capture market share from their rivals?

R.J. Lehmann
Retail Editor
Travel Weekly