On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 11:57:23PM -0400, John Perich wrote:
> If we stick to the assumption that 'people make rational
> choices,' the obvious conclusion would be:
>
> Evaluating crazy ideas requires more time / effort than would likely be
> rewarded.

Indeed. Now, this only becomes a problem when "public good" is concerned
by decisions taken "in common", based on the opinion of people not able
to pay the price of deeply understanding the issues, rather than the opinion
of people directly concerned, and thus with a rational incentive to pay
this price.

This is precisely the point treated in section 15.b, objection #5,
of Bryan Caplan's "Anarchist Theory FAQ":
        http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan/anarfaq.htm

Where can I find more material about that particular problem,
and interesting analyses of it?

> -JP
> "In the long run, John Maynard Keynes is dead."
ROTFL! May his memes rot in hell.

The people cannot delegate to government the power to do
anything which would be unlawful for them to do themselves.
        -- John Locke, "A Treatise Concerning Civil Government"