At 06:48 00-07-22, you wrote:
Indeed. Now, this only becomes a problem when "public good" is concerned
by decisions taken "in common", based on the opinion of people not able
to pay the price of deeply understanding the issues, rather than the opinion
of people directly concerned, and thus with a rational incentive to pay
this price.

You are right: rational ignorance is generally associated with collective choices. But the problem is somewhat larger: even if the state does not have an opinion on the shape of the earth, when do people start beleiving Galileo?

Where can I find more material about that particular problem,
and interesting analyses of it?

Information and reputation cascades in the context of the smoking debate are treated by Bertrand Lemennicier in a paper he presented at my "Individual Choices and Liberty Seminar." Go in the Papers (or "Communications") section at http://www.uqah.uquebec.ca/lemieux.

P.L.

PIERRE LEMIEUX
C.P. 725, Tour de la Bourse, Montréal, Canada  H4Z 1J9
Fax: 1(819)585-4423
<http://www.pierrelemieux.org>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Backup: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
PGP Key 0xBDFFCD16
Fingerprint: CF3E 4A3F 57AB 8AB2 88FB  A1D8 C83D 2E15 BDFF CD16