Could workers be taking the "default" option as a kind of endorsement or
certification by their employer than this particular choice is a
generally wise one?

E.g., if my home builder made radon detectors a standard home feature
(where I could request a downgrade), I would want one.  But if there
were merely an optional add-on, I wouldn't request the upgrade.  The way
they frame the option seems to convey information about its value.
--
            Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different
   reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike
   the program we are receiving.  Similarly, we may be dissatisfied
   with ourselves for two quite different reasons: because our body
   does not work (bodily illness), or because we dislike our
   conduct (mental illness)."
                   --Thomas Szasz, *The Untamed Tongue*