William Dickens wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>      Perhaps I misread these passages, but I interpret them to mean that the culture
>resides in the kids' peer groups and is transmitted from parents (when they were
>kids) to current kids via the link of ongoing peer culture. Note the use of the
>wording "passed down" which implies inherited -- not imposed from above (as in
>"passed down from generation to generation"). Also, she says that cultures are
>"self-perpetuating" not that parent group cultures change child group cultures.  --
>Bill

Hmm.  The quotes seem clear enough to me, but perhaps you need the
context too.  How would you interpret this finding that she talks about
- that it is bad for kids to be in fatherless neighborhoods, but not
fatherless homes?  That sounds like a clear (though unconscious)
distinction between the private and social costs of one-parent family
structures.

--
            Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different
   reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike
   the program we are receiving.  Similarly, we may be dissatisfied
   with ourselves for two quite different reasons: because our body
   does not work (bodily illness), or because we dislike our
   conduct (mental illness)."
                   --Thomas Szasz, *The Untamed Tongue*