Keith Burbank wrote:
>Perhaps not stupidity, but ignorance. I am afraid I am ignorant of the
>hurtful effects of sending money to help the poor and the beneficial
>effects of letting the poor move to a place like the United States.
>
>>... I have more trouble understanding the desire to send money over there to
>>help them, while also hurting yourself via not helping others even more by
>>letting them move here.

I didn't say sending money hurt them; I granted it might help them some.
The fact that people try hard to move here suggests it benefits them.
I'd appeal to standard micro intuitions to suggests it benefits us as well.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323