Alexander Tabarrok wrote:
>    I am giving a talk today in which I point out that virtually every
>moral theory implies open borders are moral and immigration controls
>immoral.  ...   Yet, ... the
>implications are clearly not accepted by most people - or at least most
>people are willing to ignore the implications.  What does this tell us.
>1) Moral theory counts for nothing, 2) We are still tribalist but are
>working away from that, 3) We have the wrong moral theory.  4) ?

It seems even stranger than that - people do accept moral arguments
when it comes to sending aid from here to there, though they clearly
don't weigh very heavily on them, since such aid is rather small.
They treat the two ways of helping differently, even though the way
of helping others that they avoid would actually help them as well.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323