I just started a book that is so promising I'll recommend it after the
first chapter: *Stereotype Accuracy* edited by Lee, Jussim, and
McCauley.  Basically they have a lot of chapters testing the accuracy of
stereotypes, and mostly conclude that (in their words) "Stereotypes have
been stereotyped!"  They argue that in realistic situations, people
using stereotypes are quite cognitively able.  This provides concrete
evidence that the pronounced cognitive biases emphasized in behavioral
economics are to a large extent artifacts of unrealistic experimental
conditions.

More comments will be forthcoming once I finish the book.
--
          Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "[W]hen we attempt to prove by direct argument, what is really
   self-evident, the reasoning will always be inconclusive; for it
   will either take for granted the thing to be proved, or something
   not more evident; and so, instead of giving strength to the
   conclusion, will rather tempt those to doubt of it, who never
   did so before."
    -- Thomas Reid, _Essays on the Active Powers of the Human Mind_