OK, Bryan is right (as was Alex) and I'm wrong.  This from the horses mouth
(a note I got today from Judith Harris):

My theory is definitely not an excuse for people to throw up their
hands and say "We give up -- there's nothing we can do!"  Because
(as you said) children are socialized first at home, any aspect of
socialization that is common to the majority of the children in a
given group is likely to be effective.  If the majority of the parents
in a given neighborhood decided to teach their children to nod their
heads three times whenever someone gave them something, then that
custom would probably become standard behavior in their neighborhood;
children who were new to the neighborhood would quickly pick it up.
That's how cultures are passed on.  That's why it matters where you
raise your kids and where they go to school.  When people choose
a neighborhood in which to raise their kids, what they're doing is
trying to find a place where the other parents have attitudes and
customs that are similar to their own.  By doing that, they maximize
the chances that their children will retain the attitudes and customs
they acquired at home.

and

Thanks for enclosing the note from Bryan Caplan (actually, N = 2).
Yes, Caplan is right, and Dan Quayle had a point.  When you're
looking for a neighborhood in which to raise your kids, it's a good
idea to look for one in which most of the kids have fathers.

The reference to a sample size of 2 comes from earlier in the note in which she had
said that she had concluded that economists were very smart but that that was based on
a small sample  (N=1).  So I guess that Bryan impressed her.  -- Bill Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036