On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Robin Hanson wrote:

> If the monopolist equals the paper authors, and the product
> over which there is a monopoly has its primary value in producing
> this paper, then I think the journal should require that the
> algorithm be made available free to others, but only for the
> purpose of trying to reproduce the result.

Professor Hal White presented the data snooping paper here a couple of
years ago, and I got the impression that he and the other academic authors
were not the major monopolists with a stake in the paper's algorithms.  I
doubt that the patent is held in his name only, if at all.

Alex Robson
UC Irvine