Ed Dodson responding...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Very often for water bills, you have to pay more per unit once your consumption goes
>above a certain level.  This might make it seem like the price goes up because your
>quantity demanded goes up(which reverses the causality) and would mean an upward
>sloping demand curve.

Ed here:
I would expect that consumer sensitivity to higher marginal prices is very dependent
upon household income. Lower income households would tend to curtail water consumption
as marginal unit prices increase; moderate income households would be less prone to do
so and higher income households not at all sensitive to pricing increases. Another
variable, of course, is whether the households allocate water for lawncare. Households
with
large lawns (and sprinkler systems installed) may simply absorb the increased costs in
order to maintain their lawn in accord with the "neighborhood standard".

I wonder whether a similar analysis would apply to business use.

> But if there is a fixed amount of water available per day (let's say due to a given
>amount of rainfall), if you use more than average, you are making water scarcer
>(reducing the supply) and when supply decreases, the price goes up.  Thus, if you
>want to increase your quantity demanded, you must pay a higher price.  So it is
>quantity demanded that seems to cause price, not the usual case where price causes
>your quantity demanded.

Ed here:
I assume you are referring to a rationalized rather than typical market. Water
provided by public agencies is priced based on the successful pursuit of subsidy in
many parts of the U.S. Water projects are funded by the Federal government and the
debt paid for out of general revenues rather than user charges. Water brought to arid
parts of the country in order to irrigate land for crops is a case where heavily
subsidized water
results in two things: (1) waste; and (2) creation of an imputed income stream to
landlowners that is capitalized into higher land prices (e.g., if farmers were paying
the true cost of water, farmland prices would be much lower but profit margins from
actual farming -- as opposed to the buying and selling of land as a speculative
investment -- would be the same.

begin:vcard
n:Dodson;Edward
tel;fax:215-575-1718
tel;home:856-428-3472
tel;work:215-575-1819
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Fannie Mae;Housing and Community Development, Northeast Regional Office (NERO)
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Senior Affordable Housing Business Manager
note:If you need to reach me during non-business hours, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
adr;quoted-printable:;;1900 Market Street=0D=0ASuite 800;Philadelphia;PA;19103;U.S.A.
fn:Edward J. Dodson
end:vcard