"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> I just read today's Krugman editorial on the NYT regarding the deregulation
> of  electricity issue in California.  As many sharp members of this list do
> reside in CA, I wonder what their reactions are...
[...]
> http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/10/opinion/10KRUG.html

The author overlooks some obvious objections:

* Let us assume that the power companies, in all their evil, have
infallible analysts who can figure out totally accurate price-demand
curves.  In that case, it'd be nice if the author actually proved
that power companies are on the favorable side of demand by citing
some more detailed figures.  I have not yet read the NBER paper
because a) I'm not an economist and b) it costs money via their
website ($5).  Even then, in the NBER paper abstract it reads:
"While these results make deregulation of generation less attractive
than if there were no market power, they do not suggest that
deregulation would be a mistake."

* My father is the supervisor of maintenance at a local power plant,
so he is an authority on generating capacity availability.  He
actually considers California's 75% on-line figure to be "very
good," since he says that the industry standard is 60-70%.  This
means that CA's power companies have by far the best engineers and
operating conditions (unlikely), or that they're actually stretching
their hardware to the max (likely).

* The author says that the companies are not building new capacity
because they are gun-shy due to market fluctuations.  While this may
be true, it is rather hard to swallow since there is such a high
demand for power -- again, this line of reasoning hinges on some
quasi-malicious intent by the companies seduced by some
extraordinary price-demand curves.  Also, he fails to point out that
after years of artificial pricing, the power companies may not have
enough accumulated capital to absorb market risks.

* There are anecdotal reports that at least a few power companies
that very badly want to build capacity, but are being thwarted by
enviromentalists and NIMBY ("Not in My Backyard") syndrome since
most of California is inhabited by people or enviromental preserves.
 This is a double whammy since the same population growth that
squeezes generating capacity tighter probably also pushes this
political hurdle higher.  Bear in mind that nearly all forms of
viable power generation require a substantial source of cool water.
(For example, visit "http://www.southsanjose.com/".)

Power deregulation is working in areas where there isn't such a big
power crunch, like in the Washington DC metropolitan area.  The new
eye on profits is pissing off the unions, but everyone else (esp.
shareholders) seem to be pretty satisfied.

At first blush, it seems like the the author of this NYT editorial
is being one of the reactionaries that he his lambasting.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

PS:  I reside in Northern Virginia.

Sourav K. Mandal

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ikaran.com/Sourav.Mandal/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"