""William Dickens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" wrote:

> If someone knows of a study showing that homelessness is voluntary I would lo
> ve to see it.

Here's a link to comprehensive study done by the Urban Institute
(careful, document is all in one page, over 500KB):

http://www.urban.org/housing/homeless/homeless.html

I would call the readers attention to Fig. 2.8, "Most Important
Thing Respondent Thinks is Preventing Exit from Homelessness".  Of
all respondents, 30% say "Insufficient Income" and a different 24%
say "Lack of Job".  Supporting demographic info:

* About 75% of the homeless are above age 18. (Table 2.3)

* Around 90% of homeless adults with progeny do NOT have custody of
their children. (Fig. 2.7)

* Occurrence of mental health problems: Lifetime 57%, past year 45%,
past month 39%.  (Table 2.4)

* Occurence of drug and/or alcohol problems w/o mental illness:
Lifetime 30%, past year 29%, past month 27% (Table 2.4)

Therefore, given the excellent performance of the economy at the
time the data was collected (1996, 1997), we can infer:

* A significant portion of the homeless are mentally ill, and that
may prevent them from holding down jobs.

* Around around 30% have substance abuse problems _not_ as a result
of mental illness.  This substance abuse may prevent them from
holding down jobs, as well.

* The rest, around 15-30%, don't want jobs bad enough.

Thus, you can draw one of two conclusions:

* If you believe that substance abuse is a choice, then 45-60% of
the homeless are that way as a direct result of their choices.

* If you believe that substance abuse is a disease, then only 15-30%
of the homeless are that way as a direct result of their choices.

Since I believe the former, my view that for many homelessness is a
choice is supported by this study.  I do not see any figures for
what fraction of those mentally ill refuse treatment; if it is
signficant, then there is yet another large subgroup for whom
homelessness is at least somewhat of a choice.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ikaran.com/Sourav.Mandal/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"