When a good is made illegal consumers react by squeezing more consumption into a
shorter period of time in order to minimize the chances of getting caught per unit of
pleasure.  Thus, it is a common observation that adults drink more often than
teenagers but
in less quantity (Thus, I have a glass of wine two to three times a week.  Even binge
teenager drinkers probably binge only once a week.)  This idea is the consumer side
equivalent to the observation that prohibition increases the incentives of seller's to
push
harder drugs (more dollar per oz thus reducing the chances of being caught).

Alex