Well that (if the LA Times got it right) is a very odd fact. Why would we be
programmed to make babies when we are under stress as opposed to when we are fat and
content? The standard evolutionary psychology line says that any innate response such
as this has to have conferred some advantage on our pre-human ancestors. The only
thing that I can think of is that stress might be caused by competition from some
other tribe or another species and it might be advantageous in such situations to
increase the number of "soldiers." However, given how long it takes humans to grow to
the point that they are useful for such purposes, and given how significant a drain
young are on resources, it really seems that such an impulse would be counter
productive. Now if this was a grief response this might be more  understandable. It
would make sense that you might want to replace lost population, but stress seems
awfully non-specific. Perhaps our emotional/behavioral systems simply aren't sophis!
ticated enough to parse out different types of arousal, but if that is true that
should throw a lot of suspicion on the whole enterprise of evolutionary psychology
since the mechanisms that are being posited concerning sexuality and social
interaction are usually much more highly nuanced than this.
- - Bill Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 797-6113
FAX:     (202) 797-6181
E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AOL IM: wtdickens

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/01/01 12:21PM >>>

An article in the LA Times discusses how high levels of stress
change hormonal balances in the body causing, ahem, sexual arousal
during times of stress.

I can easily imagine a similar effect for just plain happiness.

Fabio