This year, all four major college football bowl games were decided way before
halftime.  Presumably this had a significant negative influence on t.v. ratings, and
therefore made the advertising less valuable to advertisers than in a close contest.
Were I an advertiser in the second half of these games, I'd be rather disappointed.

Take last night's national championship game between Miami and Nebraska.  Advertisers
and networks seem to face some structural uncertainty (in a fairly typical Austrian
sense) regarding the expected value of their contract.  You can't tell how mentally
prepared a player/team will be.  Based on the probablities (i.e., parametric
uncertainty), Las Vegas said that Miami should have beaten Nebraska by 8 points.  If
so, the ratings would have been right where advertisers expected them to be, they
would have paid the expected value (contract price) of the advertising, and no
contingency would bind.  But the margin of victory was 23 points, after Miami jumped
to a 28-0 second quarter lead.  This had to devastate the ratings (I even tuned out
and I'm a huge fan of CFB and fan of Nebraska).

QUESTIONS:
1. Does anyone know the contracting mechanism by which advertisers and networks deal
with potential blowout games?  I.e., is the network's fee a function of the ratings
that a game gets?  Since the teams receive a fixed payout, my guess is no.  But why
not? Is the potential lottery prize of a great game and higher than expected ratings
worth it?

2. Is this a case of structural uncertainty, and so what?

3. For professional football, I believe networks use a flat advertising fee. Vegas is
much more comfortable with pro ball.  There are fewer upsets, fewer blowouts, and
fewer games.  I.e., there's less structural uncertainty.  What are some testable
implications here?

Ed.

Edward J. López
Assistant Professor