>Does anybody suppose that there might be an economic
>reason why we don't eat bugs?  Or is it just a case of
>there being no accounting for taste?
>
>Curiously yours,
>jsh

Dear Armchair Epicurean Entymologists:

Seeing the Canadians and Russians smoke the Americans in Olympic
pairs figure-skating has got me thinking: maybe John Hull is onto
something!

The U.S. may be the world's only superpower, but in the bug-eat
department, we lag sadly behind much of the rest of the world. If the
cause is cultural, perhaps the cure is economic. I propose that
Americans will start eating bugs when CBS's "Survivor" starts to
include people from bug-eating countries in the mix.

If you'd like to begin training, you might look into these books:

Man Eating Bugs, by Peter Menzel, Faith D'Aluisio
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580080227/qid=1013819760/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_7_5/002-6511335-9014426

Eat-A-Bug Cookbook, by David George Gordon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898159776/ref=pd_sim_books/002-6511335-9014426

Creepy Crawly Cuisine : The Gourmet Guide to Edible Insects by
Julieta Ramos-Elorduy, Peter Menzel (Photographer)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089281747X/ref=pd_sim_books/002-6511335-9014426

Report your results to Armchair...and to your HMO.

Bon Appétit,

Carl Close