Dear list,

Why spend so much time discussing the 'optimal' parking meter strategy -
 let the market figure it out!

What we need to do is to (re)privatize inner city streets (I don't know
what the story is in the US, but here in Denmark, streets were actually
once owned by the people who lived in them - but they have since been
reduced to 'token' owners with no real property rights).

Of course some major streets would never be privatized (no reason why
not – but they just wouldn’t) - but these are also the streets where
there is normally not many parking spaces. The vast majority of parking
spaces would thus be under private ownership - and then I feel
confident that the market would find the optimal parking solution.

Private parking corporations would make agreements with residents as to
when who would have the 'right' to the street and how to treat
residents' cars at those periods of the day / week when the parking
corporation had the right. Many parking corporations would probably
offer 'packages' where they - while they were checking meters anyway -
would also look after people houses and call the police if they saw
anything suspicious...

vis-à-vis one another the private parking corporations would compete to
find the most efficient way of securing market clearance for parking
spaces: some would maybe have a fixed price, others would vary the
price - time will tell.

The 'public' role in all this would be reduced to managing the few
parking spaces on 'public' streets (but they could probably work out a
contract with one of the private corporations as well) - whatever they
choose to do (incl. free parking) they would not be a big enough player
to mess up the market.

- jacob braestrup