Yet another potential reason could be that these programs keep executives up to speed on the latest management techniques, technology, etc.  Most MBA programs, from what I understand, are less about lecturing and more about sharing various experiences and case study analysis amongst the participants.  Presenting executives with the opportunity for continued education may be a way to get them to think "out of the box" and to gain new, "fresh" ideas and experiences through interaction with others outside of their firm (and its culture).

I'm not sure about those at the executive level, but I know that with lower to mid level employees, some firms require a certain commitment after the degree is completed (at least that's how it was in the IB industry) to ensure at least some return from their investment.  I would also put stock in Pete's efficiency wage explanation since a major selling point of many firms is their commitment to continued investment in the development of their employees.

Chris Coyne

Graduate Student

Department of Economics

George Mason University