Fred Foldvary wrote:

>...if the typical American favors subsidies to sugar farmers and
> does not mind if the domestic price is over twice the world price, and does
> not care much if candy-making jobs are moving to Canada, why do sugar farmers
> contribute funds to candidates if the representatives would vote for the
> subsidy anyway?

The public supports farm subsidies in general.  The politicians and
special interests joust over the details.  This is a long way from
saying that government policies can be explained by rational ignorance
and/or rent seeking.  I will certainly grant that these ideas explain
some things such as details of the tax code but if you look at the
budget the vast majority of it goes to programs that the public supports
in large numbers.

Alex

--
Dr. Alexander Tabarrok