--- Cyril Morong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Maybe I am running the game wrong somehow and that is
why I get little cooperation."

Are you teaching on the West Coast?!  Just kidding.
(Maybe not entirely*)  I recall from my psych days
that a notable thing about the prisoner's dilemma is
that cooperation obtains.  I got the impression that
the result was robust.  Perhaps a perusal of psych
literature may shed some light on the subject--they
have a long history in dealing with human subjects, so
there might be something to learn.  I'm stuck in a
backwater (pop. 1,500) with a one-room library, so I
can't help look.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

jsh

*I went to the Univ. of Oregon and found attitudes
regarding considerate-ness significantly different
from my native Michigan.  That's where I really
learned to appreciate the significance of the
following quote:

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.