> Is it just me, or does the discount for take-out dining seem way too
> low?>                         Prof. Bryan Caplan

Some restaurants subsidize the sit-downs.  Starbucks, for example, charges
the same for a latte whether it is to go or to drink at a table.  Those who
sit for hours sipping a venti latte while working on a laptop using not just
a table but the company's electricity are way subsidized by the to-go crowd.
Evidently the firm makes enough profit selling 50c coffee for $2 so that
those at tables can be subsidized, and moreover, a shop filled with coffee
drinkers makes it more attractive (it must be really good), so in a way the
table rent seekers too contribute, just not in cash. Likewise a full
restaurant may increase the to-go demand.  I think this is deja-vu.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]