In a message dated 7/31/02 9:23:51 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> but I try to recall
> that the wording of a poll can substantially alter its results.  Imagine,

<<The question wording could have been a bit better, but nothing was
misrepresented or too slanted.  The question was framed around the actual
farm subsidy debate in Canada, which largely centers around responses to
foreign subsidies (which are a fair bit higher than the Canadian ones).>>

But that's the whole point: supporters of ag subsidies have managed to turn a
question about support for a government spending program into a question
about "us versus them."

> Does anyone see any evidence that outside of areas in which farming plays a
> large role Americans support higher (or indeed continued) ag subsidies?

I'd love to see results from a decent survey on this.  I'd be willing to
bet in a Hanson market on the results.  I'd put even odds on overall
support for farm subsidies being at 65% in a fair, unbiased question.  I'd
give 2:1 that support is >50%.

Eric >>

Sadly at the moment we seem only able to speculate, but perhaps someone
intrepid will find us some polls that ask the simple question of whether
Americans support more, continued or less spending on ag subsidies.

Sincerely,

David