--- Fred Foldvary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"I think it is better to use other symbols, such as
*caps*, since when they get copied, one may want to
revert to u/l."

Sorry.  Yahoo email doesn't give me many options.  I
was hesitant about yelling, which I guess is what all
caps is.  I'll try something else in the future.
Thanks.

"Most of textbook microeconomics is a priori.  For
example, when deriving the law of demand, do they
justify this with data?"

By that reasoning, aren't all the results obtained in
Euclid's Elements assumed a priori?  I took the law of
demand, along with most textbook economics, to be
derived axiomatically rather than assumed.  Or is that
what a priori means?  Given reasonable assumptions
(axioms), does that mean that economic findings are
valid without being 'scientific,' i.e. rigoriously
tested?  It seems to me yes, but when data doesn't
match theory, one must search for new or modified
axioms.  Thoughts on that?

By the way, I was particularly interested in Bunge's
assertions that a scientific research program is to
find the functional forms between variables.  Should
economists spend more time on that program?  It seems
like it would be unnecessary in many contexts, e.g.
the Tragedy of the Commons where a result can obtain
by merely knowing that the production function is
concave, inter alia.  But then again, maybe not.

It seems that alot of people critique econ. without
learning it, and Bunge seems to be in that school of
thought.  But it is good to take critiques seriously.
I bet there are a lot of psychic mediums and polygraph
artists who actually believe what they're doing it
valid and real.  It's probably best to double check
once in a while and make sure we're not headed down
that road.

I still maintain that Bunge's ridiculous assertion
that economics assumes greed/money as the only human
motivator is held by most people.  I think it could be
addressed by including the definition of rationality
as the structure of preferences rather than the
content of preferences in basic economics education.
I think educators are doing a great disservice by not
making this clear early on.

-jsh